Skip to main content

Joseph Joseph Adjustable Pastry Rolling Pin Review

It's not exactly a secret that I love baking.  I love to make pastry and biscuits, but I've always struggled with gauging the depth when rolling out dough, or getting an even thickness.
My wonderful husband took me to Lakeland to choose my Christmas presents last year, and this nifty rolling pin really caught my eye.



The rolling pin is by Joseph Joseph and features different widths of plastic rings that ensure you can roll your pastry to not only the correct depth, but also that you have an even finish.  Initially the price put me off big time.  At £22 (price correct for December 2014) for a simple wooden rolling pin with coloured plastic ends, it seemed really over priced.  I didn't even put it on my Christmas wish list as figured I could find a cheaper alternative on Amazon.

Well I did scour both eBay and Amazon and there were a lot of alternatives, but they either had terrible reviews, or looked so cheap I knew they would break after a few uses.  Plus, the quirky colourful design had kind of grown on me.  I added it to my wish list and Father Christmas (under the guise of my husband!) delivered it to me in time for Christmas morning!

I've only used it a few times, but each time it has made rolling my pastry a cinch!

The rolling pin is solid and sturdy, made from long lasting beech wood.  It is long enough to cope with most standard pastry recipes, although rolling larger batches may not be possible whilst using the plastic guides.  You are somewhat restricted to rolling pastry no larger than 35cms whilst using the guides as this is how long the rolling pin is.


The rolling pin has measurements written on the shaft.  It took me a little while to figure out how to actually use these and then I cheated and checked the Lakeland website! Basically, there are mirrored increments of measurements on either end of the rolling pin.  If you want to measure 4" the space between the 4" mark on the left and the 4" mark on the right is 4".  If you want to measure 6" the space between the 6" mark on the left and the 6" mark on the right is 6" - and so on.  There are also measurements in mm too.

These markings have not been printed on, instead they have been etched/burnt into the wood meaning that they will last as long as the rolling pin itself.


The rolling pin has a solid feel to it, although it is light enough to easily roll.


I now love the fact that all my dough is the same thickness all the way through!  Perfect if you're a little on the OCD side like me.

The plastic ring guides come in either 2 mm, 4 mm, 6 mm or 10 mm.  They are also colour coded which makes it easier to match the ends and quickly grab the depth you need.  The green turn key to keep the guides on is made from chunky plastic and feels well made.  The screw thread of the rolling pin has been made from the actual wood, so there is no fear of rust or plastic wearing down.

The reviews on Amazon are pretty impressive - to date it has earned 4.5 stars from 35 reviews.  The only negative review refers to the older model (grey rings) where she complained the pastry sticks to the rough wood.  I can honestly say that I haven't encountered this, she either had a dodgy batch or they've updated the smoothness on the new model.

Each time I've used it, it's given me a flash back to Art class at school where we used to use wood blocks and a rolling pin to achieve a uniform depth in our clay - this would have been a perfect alternative!

I think this will last me years and with that in mind, perhaps the outlay isn't too bad.  I probably still wouldn't just buy it, but I think it does make a great item for a present wish list! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act