Skip to main content

Mad about the Girl - Why I'm Defending my Beloved Bridget

I have made several refferences to Bridget Jones on my blog.  As regular readers will know, I often think of myself as the Bridget Jones of the Infertility World.
Where Bridget can look at any food item and tell you how many calories it contains, I can tell you whether it has a neutral, positive or negative effect of fertility and whether it should be consumed pre or post ovulation.  Bridget has a flat strewn with relationship and self help books, mine is littered with books on fertility and various guides to achieving the (seemingly impossible) goal of a baby.  While Bridget battles an increasing deluge of friends becoming Smug Marrieds, I'm beginning to despair as my friends become Smug Mothers.

Bridget wasn't created for my generation - in-fact if Bridget was an actual person, she would only be a year younger than my Mother!  When she was first 'born' I was only 10 - men, booze and fags were probably the furthest thing from my mind ;) I am rather abashed to admit that I only knew of Bridget's existence once the 2001 film came out.  It was still another few years until I settled down with the books - since then I've been hooked!

Bridget has helped me through many a tough time.  She taught me that it's okay to not have life figured out at almost 30 and beyond, that drinking too much and making a tit of ones self isn't the end of the world and most importantly that basically being a slathering nut job with more than a smidgen of body loathing just means I'm normal.

Imagine how delighted I was at the beginning of this year to learn that Helen Fielding was dusting off her Granny Pants and bringing my Beloved Bridget back!  I was pretty sure that after the fairy tale ending of 'The Edge of Reason' that Bridget would have morphed into a Smug Mother and although I would have felt I'd lost an ally, I would have been over-joyed for her.

A few months ago I noticed a few journalists were giving back handed comments on the release of number 3.  To my resounding squeals, the extract released showed that Bridget was in-fact the same old, familiar, very slightly neurotic Bridge.  It would seem I was part of the minority that was over-joyed at this revelation - apparently the world has moved on from the 90s third-wave feminism that Bridget encompassed, and that seeing a woman that is (by all rights) in her late 40s behave in this 'dated' way is completely unrealistic!

Really?  So despite the fact that single life (both chosen and circumstance) is on the increase, the journalists are stating that people of Bridget's 'age' are no-longer on the look out for Mr Right - and if they are, then they certainly aren't sending regretful drunken tweets.  Their social networking interactions are of the reserved, and oh so very mature manner.

I thought that 40 was being touted as the new 30?  Is it just my part of the world that features 40 something females behaving in an oh so familiar way to us 20 somethings?  Maybe it's being part of the generation after Bridget was aimed at, but I have never thought of her drunken behavior as anything but amusing and quite sweet - she isn't stripping at work functions, taking part in drunken brawls or passing out in the street.  Her behavior has always been very tame compared to most that I have had the misfortune to witness.

This notion that Bridget would hit mid 40 and morph into Mrs Sensible career lady is insane!  It would appear that the grumblers out there believe that 40 is the mandatory age to morph into a 'grown up'.  In a society that urges women (and men) to embrace their age and continue living life to the fullest, it seems a rather bizarre concept that Bridget must conform to the out-dated concept of 'acting your age'.

More than ever there is increased pressure for Women to have it all - we have all these milestones that we secretly aim to complete by certain ages (so very guilty of these).  We try to under-cut them and out-do friends, family and those in the lime light.  Failure in any of these areas is felt on such a personal level - we feel inferior to others that achieve what we can't.  Admitting you are struggling or that life isn't quite as you planned is seen as a weakness, a taboo subject that no-one wants to admit to.

Bridget is very normal in many senses of the word - she struggles to achieve what she wants on both a personal and business level.  When Bridget fails, we don't see her as any less of a person; in fact most of these endear her to us even more!  The world needs Bridget to tell them that it is okay to fail, that it makes you no less of a person to not have the man, the baby and the house.  In fact Bridget makes us realize that to fail makes us normal!  To have wobbly bits that we hate is a wonderful embodiment of human nature.

All of this is why I am still 'Mad about the Girl' and why I will go on to defend my beloved Bridget

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act