Skip to main content

Giant Cupcake

Well our first craft session was good but I managed to make absolutely nothing :(

Having two friends completely new to sewing meant that my time was spent helping them with everything.  I naively didn't realise that this was going to be the case and just presumed we would all be able to sit at the dining table crafting in unison!  They both picked things up really quickly and I am sure that it won't be long until they are teaching me!

The naughty bunting was a success!  My friend used a big fat quarter of Kath Kidston style fabric and just made plain triangles.  Perhaps stating 'just made plain triangles' detracts from the effort that was involved.  The template was a doddle but achieving nice straight lines with a crisp point on the triangle was near impossible.


I think she is very pleased with her efforts as this has pride of place hanging above her mantle!  This taught me many great things about bunting, the most import being that using a no fray piece of material or even felt would not only be a million times easier but also look a lot better as it would lay flat and have a crisper finish.

My other friend made a very cute large patchwork pillow, the zip insert could have been a little more polished but as I had never attempted one before it was a little bit of the blind leading the blind!  My friend was so impressed with her accomplishment that a few days after our crafting session she went out and spent a small fortune on a sewing machine and equipment!  Sadly due to heavy work load at the moment I have been unable to make a repeat performance but we have made plenty of plans for our next creations!

It is my Mother in Laws birthday today and she is one of the sweetest women I have ever had the pleasure of being 'related' to.  Having sons she has never been spoilt by her offspring with the girly birthday touches and I vowed to make her an amazing birthday cake.

My MIL is as much as a chocoholic as I am and many hours have been whiled away hotly discussing this topic.  With that in mind I knew I had to have something distinctly girly with a heavy chocolate twist, what is cuter then an over-sized cupcake?

My own Mother is obsessed with giant cupcakes and owns a few silicone moulds.  She usually uses the moulds but then tries to attempt none cupcake creations such as a Christmas tree, a witch and a few other interesting looking designs.  I personally love cupcakes and believe if you are going to use a cupcake mould then it is a crime to try and make it look like something it isn't.

After a lot of research I came across an amazing channel on youtube called MyCupcakeAddiction where there were a few in-depth tutorials related to giant cupcakes.  I am personally not a fan of rolled icing to cover cakes as I find my OCD kicks in and I hate the way it highlights every single uneven edge and blemish.  MyCupcakeAddiction had the novel idea of making a chocolate 'case' with the lower half of the cupcake mould.  Not only did this give a clear, sharp and defined look to the case it was also made of chocolate!

After scrutinising the videos I decided to make a vanilla sponge cake layered with chocolate ganache and then iced with yet more chocolate and a final layer of vanilla butter-cream.  Despite owning several my Mother was not keen to give me one of her giant cupcake moulds but she did agree to me borrowing one.
  
The one used was called a big top Giant Cupcake mould;


I am pleased to report that these can be purchased for under £5 on ebay and I will definitely be investing after the success of my first attempt.

During my research the main issue that people kept complaining about was having a cake recipe that was successful most of the time.  I decided to bite the bullet and use a recipe from GoodtoKnow as it had been rated by over 800 people and had achieved an average of 3/5.  Not perfect but the highest rated (en masse) that I could find.  This recipe was specifically made for the wilton metal cake tins and I knew it was a gamble but was running out of more time to research.  I used the recipe for both the cake and the buttercream icing and found that I had enough batter left over for 20 normal sized cupcakes - perfect for my next trial of cake truffles!  To see the recipe simply follow the GoodtoKnow link above and have a look. 

Here is the finished article;

My Mother in law was in love with it and I felt especially touched when she told that no-one had ever made her a birthday cake themselves before!  I didn't sample it myself as we had just got in from a lovely meal but my Brother in law had seconds and said it was good.

I have been asked to make some little Wedding Cakes for after a wedding ceremony in August and am very nervous about the prospect!  Lots of research and trialling is going to be needed for which I can't wait!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Colour B4 Extra Strength Review - Part Two Using the Dye Remover and helping to prevent re-oxidation

If you haven't already read it, you should really check out Part One of this as it details preparation, it can be found here Well it is done and I am rather impressed with the results, even if I do say so myself!  There were a few things that I did differently this time and I will go through the entire process and then share the finished result. You will need; Sectioning Clips Comb Colour B4 Extra Strength Cling Film Two beanie style hats Hair Dryer Shower Bucket Loads of Patience Step One Start by sectioning your hair and clipping the upper portion to the top of your head.  If like me you have long hair, it is best to start with the underneath layers.  I found the easiest way to apply the remover was to take a small section of hair (no more than an inch wide) and squirt a small amount into my gloved hands and start with the ends carefully rub it in.  I usually applied 3 squirts to each section; end, mid length and root.  Time should be taken to ensure each squ

Superdrug Colour Rewind - Hair Dye Remover Review - Part One

I started dying my hair at the grand old age of 15 - fast forward to 12 years later and my hair has become a dried out mop of horror.  I started with black - I loved Marilyn Manson and Slipknot and needed the world to view my hair as an extension of my sheer awesomeness!  This phase lasted until I was about 19; almost 4 years of the darkest of darks layered over my hair. I alternated between black, black-blue, black-purple and even tried dip dyed black and red.  At 19 I wanted a change and decide to bleach it so I could dye it red - after an initial day of ginger (luckily I was favouring the sporty baseball cap in this period) I switched to a dark red.  Next came a few years of alternating between different shades of red and then various browns. When we started trying for a baby in 2010 I was worried that the constant dying of my hair whilst pregnant could cause development issues - I went to a professional hair dresser and had blonde highlights put through my then dark brown

Replacement Blades for the Silhouette Cameo - UK users

From the moment I purchased my Silhouette Cameo I was in love.  The only way I could justify the cost was to start up a business , the only problem with this was the cost of the blades.  I was getting through a blade every few weeks, at just under £16.00 (including postage) for a single blade it was getting very expensive.  I knew that once business picked up I was going to either have to increase prices (never a good idea for new businesses) or take a big knock in profits.  The only solution I could see was be to try and find a cheaper solution to the blades. I was first made aware of using disposable blades by Ligaya's Creativity Zone .  She had had success with an aluminium (CB09) Blade Holder.  This blog was invaluable for advice on the different angled blades available and suppliers of the CB09 Blade Holder. The only drawbacks were the seller was based in Asia (have been stung for import taxes before, and it is a hefty amount) and there were reports that the holder act